Ψ Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions on Chapter 9 & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on unit three. You can, in fact, expect to see many of these very same questions on that exam. Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the self tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. On Halloween, Rick watched as his brother was getting into a Hulk costume. As soon as his brother put on the mask, Rick started to cry & ran to his mother, believing that his brother had become the Hulk. Rick has yet to master Piaget's concept of
2. The long band of nerve fibers that connects the brain's hemispheres is
3. Which of the following children is demonstrating knowledge of a true functional relationship?
• Kim, who says: "It's raining 'cause I got new galoshes."
4. Both Piaget & Vygotsky agree that preschoolers are
5. While playing in the sandbox, Linda makes wet sand into flat disc shapes and says: "Blueberry pancakes are ready. Come and get them while they're hot." Linda is demonstrating
6. According to Vygotsky, guided participation requires that a child
be told instructions for a task just once.
be allowed to discover solutions without help.
interact with an adult to accomplish a task.
be assisted by an adult until the child can do a task well alone.
7. When a person talks to herself, its
8. When Bob's mother came to pick him up at the daycare center, she found him sitting in the corner and crying. "What happened?" asked his mother. "She hit me," Bob sobbed. Bob's failure to identify who "she" is demonstrates
9. Preschoolers use scripts to
10. Three-year-old Emma and her three older brothers are sorting toys for a garage sale. Which group of toys did Emma sort all by herself?
3 piles of science fiction action figures: 1 of male figures, 1 of female figures, & 1 of robots.
4 piles of marbles: 1 of blue marbles, 1 of yellow marbles, 1 of green marbles, & 1 of red marbles.
4 piles of dolls: 1 of dolls that talk, 1 of dolls that walk, & 1 of dolls that do both.
4 piles of baby toys: 1 of rubber toys, 1 of wooden toys, 1 of plastic toys, & 1 of broken toys.
11. By age 5, most children
12. Three-year-old Johnny says: "Soon, everybody will goes in the car. Drive zoo. See tigers and lions, and monkeys, and deers. When daddy is coming?" Which part of Johnny's utterance would be considered "telegraphic speech?"
13. Which is NOT a factor that strengthens theory of mind at age 4?
14. A problem with fast mapping is that
15. Which is overregularization
16. A good early childhood program would NOT have
18. An advantage of being bilingual is that
19. Centration & preoperational thought are important terms offered by:
20. One can deduce that early childhood education has substantial long-term benefits because:
21. Johnny, age 5, has a vocabulary of 8,000 words. However, he still has trouble understanding:
22. The crucial element in guided participation is:
23. In teaching children, developmental programs are to ________________ as readiness programs are to _______________.
24. That language becomes a conceptual tool is verified by understanding that:
through language a person traverses the Zone of Proximal Development.
words provide a bridge from what the child understands to what is almost understood.
language is the mediator of what children understand & remember.
language is inherent to humanity.
Lifespan Growth & Development|
Robert C. Gates
If youth knew; if age could.
- Sigmund Freud