• Drug addiction - a condition of drug dependence such that the absence of the given drug in the individual’s system produces a drive - physiological, psychological, or both- to ingest more of the drug.
• Drug Abuse - using a drug in a quantity or a manner that is harmful to physical, cognitive, or psychosocial well-being.
Ψ Use vs. Abuse:
Ψ One time or occasional use can constitute abuse not because of quantity or frequency but because of consequences.
• Drug Use before age 18 often becomes abusive & can sometimes become addictive between ages 19 and 23.
• Drug Use in the early 20’s is a time of heavy drinking & high marijuana consumption.
• Drug Use peaks at age 23 with the greatest use of cocaine & other drugs.
Ψ Drug Use - Causes of high rates of use follow.
• Genetic temperament - attraction to excitement, intolerance of frustration & vulnerability to depression
• Group activities - parties, concerts, spectator sports
• Life style - stress & personal attitudes
• Life style - Having friends who use drugs!